January 31, 2006

Taking Back Time

Used to be that I was hyper-aware of time.

I guess you might say I was a tempusmaniac (if that's a word).

I was continually working out what time to run meds based on a) how I was feeling, and b) what was on the schedule that day. I was calculating the time in between doses and the time between meds and TPN to avoid compatibility issues.

I functioned at a very low level if I didn't infuse 2 or more doses each day. I infused additional units for hydration each day to maintain a minimum level of 'lytes.

My symptoms have been significantly reduced since the Enterra device was reinserted in June.
While I have yet to have a med-free day, I only require one infusion and very rarely 2 doses. I infuse hydration therapy just 1 - 2 times per week. My labs have been stable through these changes.

I experience fewer episodes of vomiting. Improved symptoms means that I've been able to increase my intake. I can simply tolerate more because I feel better.

These improvements are reflected physically. I continue to hear how my color has improved, that my eyes are clearer, my face less drawn and how I generally just look better.

By chance, my path crossed with Doreen recently, who I hadn't seen for nearly 2 years. Over an awkward 7 minutes or so, she pointed out to me and Jessica the various improvements she noticed. The attention was embarrassing, especially since we hadn't shopped in her store for 2 years.

I feel better and have some free time. I sense that I have more control over the disease.

No comments: