December 11, 2005

Developing a Research Program

The cost to develop a program to support Gastric Pacing Devices is about $400,000 per year. This figure includes the cost of the device, the costs to implant it, and monitor and maintain the pacer. It also includes costs associated with operating a clinic (staff, equip.), collecting and analyzing data, diagnostic tests, etc. for up to 10 patients.

My gastroenterologist prepared a business plan in Spring/05 and presented it to hospital Admin to request funding to start the project.

In August, he was told that if his application to OHTAC is approved, then in next year's budget (2006), the hospital will allocate some of its discretionary funds to launch a GES program. It wouldn't be $400K, but it'd be something.

In September, the GI advised me that he had completed and submitted the application to OHTAC. He was optimistic that a final approval for the device would be received within 2 months. He explained that the budget meetings would begin in January, and that he would expect the money to start flowing in the spring.

In the meantime, a research trust has been set up to hold contributions from the public to support the GI's research program. A donation to the research trust would go a long way to convince Admin of our own commitment to GES therapy.

Of course I'm committed to the program. I want to have control of the terrible symptoms associated with my gastroparesis. I want to feel better. I want my life back.

I am so very lucky to be so loved. My parents, my family and friends have offered to contribute to the Research Account as long as the money is used to help me. And we have no guarantee of that, yet.

Top

No comments: