November 09, 2005

Non-Compliance Isn't Rebelling

Sometimes I'm accused of being non-compliant.
And technically, that'd be right. But rebelling? Rebelling is an act of conscious defiance; willful disobedience. Let's look at some mitigating factors that contribute to non-compliance in my particular case:

You can't just yell "Cut! That's a wrap." at 7:00 p.m. and darken the set.

My teens do not drive. While they walk, ride a bike and get rides to/from various destinations, sometimes I'm the driver. They have commitments to teams, work, school, etc. Sometimes that involves me.

My husband has a demanding job. His employer is sensitive to our special needs; nonetheless he has work to complete.

Yes, I can and have infused meds and hydration in the car, waiting for some practice to finish up or getting to a tournament; but this is less than ideal as I do not use a portable pump. I make my pump portable when necessary. It's hard to correct 'Air' alarms in the vehicle. And people look at you funny.

Sometimes I just do not keep meds down. I do not control it. I wish that I could change it. Know that if I could, I would.

One serious allergic reaction takes me out of commission for that day and often the next.

Let's just say there are considerations that contribute to diminished responsibility.

No comments: